Sunday 13 January 2008

Roundabout Rage...

I've worked in the same area (geographically speaking) for the best part of 15 years and only recently have I noticed many fellow motorists are blatantly queue jumping using a dirty little trick!

Here goes - Rant mode ON:

When I leave work, it's normally pretty busy and I have to join a queue of traffic to turn left at a roundabout.
Someone normally flashes me (now think headlights here folks, headlights) and kindly lets me pull into this traffic jam.

There's always about ten cars in front of me and it takes a few minutes for me to reach the traffic island, as the cars in front are giving way to traffic coming from the other directions.

HOWEVER! I've recently noticed that about half the cars passing me in the right-hand lane, are NOT ACTUALLY TURNING RIGHT AT ALL!
They are cars from behind me, that are pulling out and joining the right-hand lane, then going all the way round the island, actually exiting left, jumping the queue!!!
[See 'the red line of effrontery' in figure #1]

[Figure #1]


CHEEKY BASTARDS!
So there I am, waiting patiently in line, like the Highway Code abiding citizen I am, while cars are tearing down the outside lane "indicating right" and then actually doing full circle and turning left, so I have to queue twice as long because of all these arseholes!!!


I honestly can't believe the f'ing audacity of SO MANY PEOPLE!!!
Have they got no shame or conscience?
It winds the hell out of me that these people have no problem openly queue jumping!
How are they getting away with this???
Has this 'little trick' become acceptable or
what???
GRRRRRRR

To entertain myself in the prolonged wait, I've started taking a mental note of the last three letters of cars' number plates passing me on the right and then I guess to see if they will emerge again, and I reckon I can spot a 'queue jumper' 90% of the time now!

Doing stuff like this doesn't even cross my mind and I would feel so guilty if I did it.

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
I HATE YOU QUEUE JUMPERS... EVERY BLOODY LAST ONE OF YOU

*exhales slowly*
Rant mode OFF

Has anyone else experienced stuff like this?


Today, I'm Most Angry About: Changing the batteries in my smoke alarms, but inadvertently replacing one with a dead battery. It then took me about an hour to figure out what the occasional little 'chirp' I could hear was! Duh...
Grrr-O-Meter Rating: 2/10

Today's Top Tip: Busy Executives: Don't buy a Dachshund - Their amusing sausage shape means they take 50% longer to stroke than other dogs, and time is money!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was confused at first, after seeing the drawing, because all of the cars were in the wrong lane!

Then I realized that the drawing was in England-style.

Phil said...

Sarah:
LOL! Ah yes, the diagram only works for those who drive on the 'proper' side of the road ;0]

Anonymous said...

Whatev-yo!

kat said...

I was thinking 'cheeky buggers' until I scrolled down and read your remark. I think you got it about right!!

Not sure how you can stop this from happening, but if your car should ever break down make sure you are in the right-hand lane when it happens.

Anonymous said...

"Doing stuff like this doesn't even cross my mind and I would feel so guilty if I did it."

That's why you're so upset about it. Because _they_ dare to do it and you don't :)

I wouldn't personally do it, but I'm afraid I do give credit to people who a) think of doing it and b) have the audacity to do it.

And I believe it's entirely acceptable according to the highway code - though usually only when making a mistake!

I dare you to try it one day!

Phil said...

Sarah:
*pokes tongue out* :0]

Kat:
Hehehe, good call! :)

Kayla:
Yeah, that happens on the motorway quite often! I feel your anger :0]

Stu:
I like the alternative thinking here Stu!!! Perhaps you're right! I think I'd be very self-conscious doing it and would be feeling like the people at the front of the queue are looking at me thinking "arsehole queue jumper" and I would feel bad anyhow for pushing in front of the patient people.

I guess you're right saying it's kind of ingenuity though. It just feels a like an selfish exploit.
Mmm, maybe I should 'dare' to do it tonight in an attempt to restore harmony with the roundabout :0]

Anonymous said...

On my route home there is a roundabout with two lanes leading up to it. the left lane is 1st or 2nd exit' and the right lane '3rd exit or all the way round'

I queue for ages on the right when people jump into the left then merge into thr 3rd exit on the roundabout making me queue for longer. grrr.

Did you know that it is against the highway code to go round a roundabout more than 3 times?

That's 3 times before exiting the roundabout, not 3 times ever. I checked.

Lord Hutton said...

I bet this roundabout modelling software doesnt take this into account (in fact I know it doesnt.
And that's another thing: what about the people who look, see you, and then pull out anyway? Why look at all?

Lord Hutton said...

In fact I have a mind to send your blog to the TRL and go "nerr"

Phil said...

Rob:
AH, similar genre of pushing in there then! Grrr indeed :[]

Yes, I did know about the 3 times around an island rule. Never fails to make me laugh :0)

Hutters:
Ahh, junction designing software - how cool is that!!! Now I never knew that that existed.

Yes, that's true, if you're going ot pull out on someone, why look at all LOL...

Yeah, send that post to anyone :0]

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

It strikes me as being an eminently sensible thing to do!! Why don't you try it out and then see how you feel!?

Max said...

Was the roundabout modelling software used for Swindon's Magic Roundabout?

http://www.strum.co.uk/wessex/brunpic.htm

Phil said...

Angela:
Yeah, I've been toying with the idea, but I can't bring myself to do it :(
I don't want to fall into this category, like people who park in disabled or mother & child spaces when they are not either :[]

Max:
LOL - I've never seen that!!! Now there's a place to catch some real road rage :}

Lord Hutton said...

Yes Max
And you are tagged, dogboy

Anonymous said...

"Red line of effrontery"!!! lmao

Phil said...

Hutters:
Oi, what do you think this is? Some kind of public chat area?
*Kidding* :0]

Snowqueen:
Hello and welcome Snowqueen!
Hehehe, I actually made myself chuckle when I thought up that one too :0]

kat said...

I've tagged you - Letter to 13 year old self.

kat said...

I've tagged you - Letter to 13 year old self.

Phil said...

Kat:
Ah thank you! I actually would like to do it, so here's my excuse!

Anonymous said...

OOOOhhhhhhh dear......

I have to admit to having done this once or twice..... the shame......

Phil said...

Graham:
Awww, that's it, I'm telling my mom on you! :[]

Andre Veloux said...

Yeah, I remember a roundabout back home where people used to do that. Chill man, its there issue, you are only causing yourself grief!

Phil said...

Andre:
Wise words my friend! :]

Toccata said...

Don't you just love it when the dead battery starts chirping in the middle of the night!

Dogga a Highway Code Abiding citizen? Somehow that's not the image I have of you.

If I'm going to add my own little rant it's when I am walking home in the all too common pouring rain and cars refuse to stop and let you walk across the clearly marked pedestrian lane!!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Phil, it's completely different to parking in disabled or mother and baby places - that's just plain wrong.

This is about making best use of the road. And that's allowed!

Phil said...

Toccata:
Yeah! at least it wasn't in the middle of the night... as normal ;]

Hehe, well with some things I am law abiding and not so much in other areas!

They do that on zebra crossing over here... they see you but, don't stop GRRR don't get me started on another one :0]

Angela:
Maybe, but queue jumping is wrong full stop! You wouldn't put up with someone barging infront of you at shop checkout :0]

Jeangenie said...

But if a new till opens up then the people at the back of the queue are entitled to use it. ;)

Phil said...

Jan:
Ah bloody 'ell, there's always one LOL!!! ;0)

Phil said...

I see that others have spotted the problem, YOU'RE ALL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!
I hate that too, if I were a cop, I'd arrest and/or shoot anyone who does that. It seems that more people with the fancy cars do it that people driving the older models. Obviously they are more important than I am....

Phil said...

Phil:
Aah, the wrong side! THAT'S the problem :]

Liking the Judge Dredd style justice here Phil. I'm with you all the way!

Kourosism said...

There is a solution. Go round the roundabout yourself, letting other queue jumpers follow you. But just before the exit, stop and let the line of traffic waiting patiently out.

Not an especially legal maneuver but probably very good for the old blood pressure (yours, not the queue jumpers).

Phil said...

Kouros:
Love it!!!
Yes, wait until an offender pulls out, get in front of them and then let loads of people out - SUPERB!

However, this is no longer a problem for me... Post coming soon :]